This self-contained chalet, strawbale construction, with energy-efficient design and integrated water systems, is spacious, comfortable and inviting.
The Ecostay is found in the hills east of Perth. It is located 2 km from the Mundaring townsite and 40 minutes from the city.
This unique building and surrounds encompasses many aspects of sustainable living – from passive solar design, power generation, rainwater harvesting and use, greywater reuse on gardens, waterwise irrigation, and the extensive use of recyclable and salvaged materials.
The 1 ha property is being set up as a permaculture demonstration site, and this work continues. Visitors can expect to see gardens and structures at various stages of installation and development.
The chalet is most suitable for couples. The fully self-contained chalet has two bedrooms with:
- Bedding (all linen supplied)
- Cooking facilities, including stove, microwave
- Good selection of pots and pans
- CD Player
- DVD/VHS Player
- Selection of VHS and DVD movies and documentaries
- Refrigerator, with small freezer
- TV in lounge room and bedroom
- Iron, ironing board
- Washing machine and laundry trough
- Amazing wildlife – bandicoots live on the property, as do many species of birds. Walk to see kangaroos.
- Internet available – wireless (cable connect available in adjacent building)
- Bicycles available for the adjoining rail trail
Organic produce from the property is seasonally available, including eggs, fruit, blueberries, goji berries and vegetables.
A comprehensive list of places to visit in the area, restaurants and wineries, activities to undertake and things to see is provided in the Ecostay file. Or you could just relax!
You can pick up brochures and other information by a visit to the nearby Mundaring Visitor Centre, open seven days a week.